Remote User Testing
The definition of Usability Testing according to Wikipedia is:
Remote User Testing, is a remote version of usability testing. This unmoderated form of usability testing can help any person or company test an existing website or prototypes at a fraction of the cost of regular usability testing.
Benefits of Remote User Testing
Remote User Testing, which is available for desktop and mobile devices, makes usability available for everyone. With low costs, fast turn-around times, and clear processes, any company can gain insights from users in matter of hours, not days.
Remote User Testing Example Videos
Why should you try remote user testing?
- Cost Effective – Remote User Testing is a lot less expensive than regular usability testing in a lab. Even testing large groups can be done at affordable prices, providing you and your company with valuable insights at a fraction of the cost.
- Quick Turn-around Times – Turn-around times of less than 1 hour are slowly becoming the norm. The online world moves quick and with lab usability test results taking up to several weeks before being presented, ask yourself, can you really wait that long? How relevant is last month’s research data compared to today’s research data? Remote user testing will allow you to stay ahead of the game.
- Manageable Logistics – When conducting usability testing in a lab, the consultancy agency charge you not only for moderating the test, but also for recruiting participants. Many remote user testing services will recruit participants for you, again, at a fraction of the cost. Screen participants prior to conducting the test. Filter on location, age, income, education and more. Or, if you want, recruit your own participants from you client-base.
How can Actual Insights help?
For companies new to unmoderated, remote usability testing, also referred to remote user testing, Actual Insights can help by providing fixed priced solutions for conducting and analyzing the tests for you.
At Actual Insights we have extensive experience in conducting remote user tests. From choosing the most effective test tool to setting up the test, and from analysing the results to presenting the insights, we will help you all the way.
- Tool Selection – There are various tools in the market today that will allow you to conduct remote user testing. At Actual Insights, we have experience with all the tools. After learning more about your wishes with regards to the usability test, we will recommend the right tool for your test. All-in packages include all costs for the remote user testing tool.
- Test Setup - After having defined the purpose of your test, we will go and set the test up for you in the selected remote user testing tool. Many tools have different features. Due to our experience, we can keep the time required to set up the tool to a minimum, helping you get your insights more quickly. We have close ties to the various suppliers so we can easily customise the setup to meet anyone’s needs, if required.
- Analysing Results - Remote user testing will always require manual labor to analyse. Analysing a 15 minute remote user test video can take up to 1 hour. At Actual Insights, we will sift through all the tests and find worthwhile insights. Due to our vast experience with e-commerce environments we are good at finding valuable insights, and quantifying them over all the tests to give you and your company actionable insights to work with.
- Presenting Insights - As an added service, we will create a presentation for you are your company. We will present the results via video conferencing where we will clearly point out the problem areas in your website/application and show you some highlights from actual participants.
- All Your Data Belongs To… You – Upon completion of the remote user test, we will give you all the collected files and data. This will include the presentation (data) and video files.
- Performing guerilla usability/user research (fast, cost effective, and insightful)
- Analyzing usability/user research data
- Finding actionable insights in usability/user research data
- Effects of Voice of the Customer feedback
- Remote User Testing/Research Methods (planning, setup, and analysis)
I'm happy to recommend Matthew as a speaker to any such event. He gives value, sticks to the agreed plan and is very reliable, and most importantly, is very likable person to work with. Thank you Matthew!
- Travelport – Barcelona, Spain
- IBM Performance 2012 – Brussels, Belgium
- Google Travel Seminar (Keynote) – Helsinki, Finland
- eMetrics Sweden – Stockholm, Sweden
- Emerce eTravel – Bussum, Netherlands
- Web Analytics Congres (Keynote) – Houten, Netherlands
To give you an idea about my style of presenting, please have a look at the examples below.