With the Top 50 iOS Apps for User Experience Designs I am attempting to share with you my knowledge of inspirational iOS apps that could help you in your daily UX lives.
Top 50 iOS Apps for User Experience Designs, says who?
I have personally tried and experimented with most of these apps. Even though the quality of the apps range from simply amazing to try to practice what you preach I want to remain as objective as possible. When it comes down to work styles and goals, everyone is an individual, so who can really claim if something is ‘TOP’.
The apps presented in this blog post are categorised in order to help you keep an overview of the apps purposes. There are, however, some apps that serve multiple roles, that include for example wireframing and prototyping, or interviews and screen recording.
It took some time to collect all the screenshots, and sift through a mountain of apps to find these 50 worthwhile apps. I hope you enjoy the list and please let me know if there are any amazing apps missing.
Sure, I have some personal favorites. Let me list a few here and then let you get back to work scrolling the rest of the list.
- iMockups for iPad
- POP – Prototyping on Paper
- Live Wires
- UX Recorder
- Cohdoo Highlight
- UI Sketcher
- IDEO Method Cards
- Red Head Mobile Design Inspiration
- Design Axioms
NOTE If I haven’t favorited an app, I have most likely not tried it…
Wireframes & Mockups
1. iMockups for iPad
(Link) Created exclusively for the iPad, iMockups combines a beautiful interface with intuitive functionality, taking full advantage of the breakthrough touchscreen device.
(Link) Mockop is a rapid prototyping tool that quickly lets you design iOS mockups of your apps, and share them with your team, prospects or clients.
- Drag & drop iPhone UI elements.
- Manage mockup layers.
- Create multiple mockups and projects.
- Import images from your photo library.
- Double tap to auto-align.
- Share single mockups or complete projects.
3. MOCK App UI Designer
(Link) Get production ready app screens that look like the real thing. All this, using a handful of taps, swipes and types. Right on your iOS device. Turn sketches / wireframes into high fidelity, designer quality app UI.
4. UX Stage
(Link) UX Stage allows easy creation of interactive mobile App prototypes (aka “Stages”) using your existing screen mock-ups or wireframes.
The App offers truly mobile prototyping experience for busy User Interface Designers and User Experience (UX) professionals who need to get stuff done quickly, and while on the go.
On a train, catching a bus to work, being stuck in a tunnel with no reception… you’ll get your interactive iPhone App prototype running in no time.
5. Mocking Pad
(Link) Mocking Pad will help you quickly and easily create sketch like wireframes of your application ideas. Low fidelity sketches can help you and your clients focus on whats really important in the early stages of application design and not get distracted by pixels and colours.
(Link) Blueprint is the most powerful iPhone (or iPad) UI design application. Blueprint has many predesigned widgets, including all the iOS views, controls, and buttons. With just a few taps, drags and drops, you can make a meaningful UI screen.
Tap or drag and drop a widget that you want to add to a screen. Make your widget look great by changing properties—colors, shape, text, images, and so on—in Property Inspector. Assign actions for each widget and make a flow of UIs with Action Inspector. In a Map View, you can see all the screens you have designed and connections between them and you can place them as you want.
When your UI design is all done, it can be played right on the iPad.
7. Sprite HD
(Link) Sprite HD is the most powerful iPad prototype tool for web, iPhone, and iPad projects, allowing consultants, analysts, and developers quickly creating UI mockups and mobile application prototypes directly.
Sprite HD has many predesigned widgets, including all the iOS views, controls, and buttons. With just a few taps, drags and drops, you can make a meaningful UI screen. Make your widget look great by changing properties – colors, shape, text, images, and so on – in Property Inspector.
When your UI design in all done, it can be played right on the iPad, or PC.
8. Mockups.me Wireframes
(Link) Mockups.me Wireframes for iPad is the premier mobile wireframing and mockup app for your web, iPhone and iPad projects.
Mockups.me lets you rapidly create interactive wireframes of your apps on your tablet. Create, communicate and share application ideas with teams and clients using a touch-based interface. Seamlessly import your Balsamiq bmml files and edit and review them on your iPad.
(Link) SketchyPad offers you a new app for website sketching and apps interface making, including iPhone and iPad apps. This app will make designers, programmers, interface designers life much easier. Easy-to-use interface and a lot of various stencils will help you to mockup any web sites and apps interfaces.
- 62 various stencils with forthcoming updates
- stencils dynamically redrawn based on user input
- linking between your mockups
- easy clone stencils and documents
- easy-to-use interface
- save result to PNG file with easy e-mail sending option
- one tap export into Balsamiq Mockups format
- import photos from your albums directly into your sketch
- change colors for stencil fill, stroke or text
- variable font size
- easy stencils arrange option
- wide range of free included icons for your mockups
- lock objects in place
- guidelines to easy positioning
10. App Layout
(Link) APP Layout is a design utility for the iPad. Create mock up designs for an iPad/ iPhone / iPod Touch in a matter of Minutes.
- Includes 140 Object Icons for use with iPad Development
- Includes 83 Object Icons for iPhone / iPod Development
Layouts include iPad Portrait, iPad Landscape, iPhone Portrait, iPhone Landscape. And for added usability DOUBLE icons for iPhone/ iPod use in both orientations.
Tap on the Object, drag where you want it displayed. For greater control you can resize, zoom, rotate, alpha, bring forward back, and add your own text to labels.
When your done, save the design to the photo roll, email the design or even post your design to Facebook.
11. iMock App
(Link) Have you tried creating wireframes on your computer, only to spend most of the time recreating the standard iOS controls? Have you tried creating wireframes on your computer, only to discover the application feels very different once its moved to an iPad? iMockApp has been used by Endava, one of the biggest iOS development companies, to create dozens of apps, and now we’ve released it free of charge to the public. iMock App enables app designers and developers to create wireframes in minutes.
- Save wireframes locally
- Email the wireframes to other iMockApp users
- Export the wireframes to PDF with comments
- Enable navigation in wireframes between screens
- Full iOS interface controls
- Theme manager
- Easy to use
12. POP – Prototype On Paper
(Link) Hand-drawn wireframes to tappable app prototypes! POP helps you make interactive prototype with ease. If you can draw, you can design apps.
The workflow is ridiculously simple:
- Design on Paper
- Take Pictures
- Link & Play
13. Live Wires Prototyping
(Link) Live Wires is the new, simple and fast way to wireframe & prototype your iPhone and iPad app concepts. Create usable experiences for your users and get a real feel for whether your concept works before development begins.
- Create interactive interfaces for both iPad and iPhone.
- Add easily customisable native controls.
- Scrollable View controls allow the demonstration of screen overflow regions in your screens.
- Flip between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 screen ratios on the fly.
- Huge glyph library. All from online sources so you can reuse them in your final compositions.
- Collaborate on projects with your team, with the export via email feature.
- Optimised for Retina Displays, create sharp, stunning looking interactive wireframes.
- Fly-out swatch controls allow you to customise lightning fast.
- Wireframe visual style keeps focus on interactivity without suggesting a look and feel for the final product.
- Minimise alterations to design and code later in the development phase.
14. Interface HD
(Link) Use Interface HD to create pixel perfect mockup of your iPhone or iPad app using native iOS widgets, right on the the iPad. Interface covers almost all iOS widgets, and it follows guideline suggested by Apple when creating widgets to achieve pixel-perfect results.
15. Pittari Preview
(Link) Pittari Preview is an image viewer for app developers and designers. Pittari Preview makes it easy to view your app design mockups and
wireframes at full size on your iPhone.
How to use Pittari Preview?
- Import images to your Photos.
- Allow to access your Photos.
- You can see images in Pittari Preview.
“Pittari” means “fits perfectly” in Japanese.
(Link) AppCooker’s mockup editor gathers all major graphic design tools: vector shapes, text, bitmap drawing, icon library, images, and all of the UI elements for iPhone and iPad (bars, buttons, objects, etc.). Screens can be linked together with the usual mobile apps linking tools. All of these features allow professionals as well as eager amateurs to end up with an interactive mockup that is visually very close to the final application, in little time and without having to type a single line of code.
(Link) Create, Preview, Share and Install in any iPhone, iPod, iPad or web browser your mobile prototypes without a single line of code.
Select your prototype info: icon, splash screen, status bar type and views. Then connect these views with cool iPhone effects.
Get the views from your Dropbox, using the iPhone library or taking pictures from drawings. You could use mockups, wireframes, drawings or final designs, everything adapts easily in ProtoTouch.
18. UX Recorder
(Link) UX Recorder is designed for usability professionals who are conducting user testing on mobile Web sites.
It uses the built-in hardware on your iOS device to record on-screen activity, video of the user’s face, and audio. You can easily export screen-in-screen video files for viewing in QuickTime (H.264 .MOV format).
- Records user interactions with a Web site on the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Records both user actions (swipes, taps, scrolling, browser controls) AND video of the user via the device’s camera.
- Exports recorded sessions to your computer’s desktop via Dropbox, iTunes, or Camera Roll.
- Easy pause and resume of session recording.
- Allows multiple projects to organize testing sessions.
- Supports bookmarks to save Web site URLs for easy access during testing sessions.
- Supports bookmark sharing with iCloud.
- Purchase session credits via In-App Purchase for easy testing on user’s devices.
(Link) Magitest Browser is the easiest way for user experience professionals to conduct usability tests of their mobile websites and native applications. Say goodbye to elaborate rigs, tripods and awkward test hardware. Magitest Browser is a recorder that captures the entire UX test on your device, using the built in camera and microphone.
Magitest records the screen, test participant’s face and the audio of the test and saves it all to your Camera Roll (in the Photos App). From there you can easily export the test to your computer.
20. Web Demo
(Link) Web Demo is a simple web browser that allows you to create videos of your web browsing sessions. It uses the built-in microphone to record audio with your video. It’s the perfect app for creating marketing demos of your websites.
In addition, Web Demo can be used for:
- Showing users how to navigate around complicated websites.
- Teaching users how to properly use your website.
- Replicating errors for web developers in a testing environment.
(Link) For those developing new products who need to quickly uncover user needs and desires so they can meet them with their product designs, Personas provides simple but proven Canvas for organizing customer insights, that gets everyone aligned around a single vision of who they’re making the product for.
Take the app outside your office, where your customers live and work, to validate your assumptions. Share your findings with those involved in the product. UX Designers, Product Owners, Developers and Marketeers will benefit from a common customer vision that helps them to stay connected to the users in the outside world while designing products and business models.
22. Persona Modeler
(Link) View and comment on all your target customers and users any time, anywhere with one easy app. Stay focused on the customer experience with the latest info on your top segments. Personas, personified examples of your target users created from research, have been proven to increase effectiveness and ROI for all kinds of products and services. Use PersonaModeler to:
- View all your target customers or users, by product or project, by priority
- Compare similarities and differences between key customer groups
- Drill down into detailed research results on goals, preferences, and needs.
23. Loop Create Surveys
(Link) Get feedback in the moment. Create your own simple surveys in seconds. Collect responses in person right on your iPad and iPhone, or poll via email, text, link, Twitter, or Facebook.
- Create your own survey
- Best practice templates
- Add your brand
- Collect data right on the iPad and iPhone
- Poll via email, text, link, Twitter, Facebook
- Collect data even when there is no Internet
- Responses in real time
- Push notifications to alert when there is new feedback
24. Datafield Offline Forms and Surveys
(Link) Datafield enables you to shift from paper-based forms to digital (mobile) forms. Create beautiful forms and surveys in seconds and have respondents instantly and remotely reply and fill-in the requested information on smartphone and tablet- even when they are offline.
25. Caretotell Surveys
(Link) The iPad Survey Platform. Real-time data, changes and analytics. Intuitive survey builder. Actionable data. No email spam.
- Multi-lingual surveys
- Advanced branching logic
- Offline survey support
- Multiple Choice, Sliding Scale, Yes/No, Email, Phone, and Text questions
- Intuitive drag-and-drop web based survey builder
- Detailed analytics
- View or download survey responses
(Link) SurveyBox brings the power of SurveyGizmo to your iPhone or iPad. Download multiple surveys to your device and record data offline and sync the responses at your leisure. SurveyBox is great for recording data out in the field where WIFI is unavailable or quickly recording some data on the road.
- Up to 100 surveys in your pocket, ready for offline use
- Sync responses anytime an internet connection is present
- Come back later and finish up a survey partial response
Featured Question Types
- Radio Button
- Textbox (Number, E-mail, Date, and Standard)
- List of textboxes
27. Site Audit Pro
(Link) Site Audit Pro by Veam Studios is an easy to use auditing and snagging tool for iOS devices. Designed to aid the process of identifying items that need attention, Site Audit Pro uses innovative technology to record the issues you have annotated, and collate them all in an easy to read PDF report. Site Audit Pro is the way forward for mobile inspections.
- Capture any issue on your device and annotate the images.
- Includes the option to record these issues in text format.
- Have your issues compiled into a dynamic PDF report within seconds.
- Email the report to any account worldwide, directly from the app.
- Transfer the report straight to your computer through iTunes file sharing.
28. Skitch by Evernote
(Link) Skitch by Evernote lets you communicate your feedback and ideas in an instant. Annotate images and documents with arrows, stamps, shapes, text, and more. Use Skitch to mark up a PDF, snap your screen, annotate a photo, or draw something new. Then, share your thoughts and ideas with friends or co-workers.
29. Cohdoo Highlight
(Link) Shine new light on audio recording user research, interviews, lectures and more with Cohdoo Highlight. Simply start a recording, marking “aha” moments as you hear them. Break time? Pause and resume the same recording, adding more highlights. Later, easily review your highlights, add notes and share recordings with your team. Get your recordings out of the dark, let no dust collect on great ideas … Highlight!
Nielsen Norman “2012 Best Application Design” Winner
30. UI Sketcher
(Link) UI Sketcher is an innovative sketching tool designed specifically for the iPad, which lets users easily create and share user interface design ideas. Based on the principles of the Design Studio Method and Adaptive Path’s Good Design Faster, UI Sketcher offers the solution to quick, iterative sketching. Incredible levels of detail and a suite of realistic drawing tools ensure a quality user experience and make the process of sketching intuitive and simple.
The app also encourages collaboration and communication amongst designers, their clients, and stakeholders, bringing together several sharing features including email, Dropbox and external display capability. Sharing facilitates evaluation of your sketches, helping to ensure that your ideas meet everybody’s requirements.
UI Sketcher is a great complement to the traditional sketching toolkit, making full use of the iPad to offer users a practical solution to UX design needs.
(Link) Need to create a quick diagram, process chart, page layout, website wireframe, or graphic design? With OmniGraffle, your iPad touch screen is your canvas (or graph paper, or whiteboard, or cocktail napkin…).
OmniGraffle knows what makes a diagram different from a drawing, so it knows how to help you make superior documents quickly: it keeps lines connected to shapes even when they’re moved, it provides stencils full of objects for you to drag and drop, and it can magically organize diagrams so your ideas come to life.
(Link) Capturing and sharing your inner most creative genius has never been easier. Introducing the first multi-device collaboration tool from Universal Mind. From iPhone to iPad with just a flick of the finger, iBrainstorm has set the bar and has redefined the very nature of collaboration.
33. IDEO Method Cards
(Link) IDEO Method Cards were first released in 2003 as a printed deck intended as inspiration for practicing and aspiring designers, as well as those seeking a creative spark in their work. With more than ten thousand decks in distribution, an IDEA Silver award and continued coverage in the press, IDEA is very proud of the tool’s success in the marketplace. However, as a design tool meant to help people explore new approaches and develop their own, we realized it was time to evolve its form. IDEO wants to experiment with a mobile platform and make it more readily available to an ecosystem of users who can take this tool to a new level. Thus, the Method Card iPhone app.
34. Gamestorming Deck
(Link) The Gamestorming Card Deck is drawn from the GoGamestorm.com blog, the companion website to ‘Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers’ by Dave Gray, Sunni Brown, and James Macanufo. The cards are frequently updated and will help you learn the fundamentals of visual language, how to illuminate complexities by mapping the big picture and how to use improvisation and games to innovate and solve real problems and help you feel more confident about using visualization in meetings.
The cards in this deck show you not only how to play — with images and instructions on both sides of the cards — but how to organize the games into favorites and ‘agendas’ for your meeting in the form of stacks. The stacks can be played by swiping through each of the cards as you proceed through your meeting or brainstorming session.
35. UX Techniques
(Link) Effective ways to resolve digital design challenges. Create great user experiences and build better applications through the use of core, best-practice UX principles. Containing forty-five essential methods and techniques: Always have the answer to hand with this pocket guide.
- Discover why, when and how certain techniques should be used
- Refresh your memory on infrequently used techniques
- Learn new techniques that can help resolve design challenges
36. Adaptive Path
(Link) Browse and watch over a hundred inspiring talks from some of the greatest minds in user experience from four years of Adaptive Path conferences on topics like:
- User experience strategy and methods
- The history of the web
- What makes games fun
- How to lead creative teams
Speakers includes folks from:
- Comedy Central
37. Web Design and Usability Guidelines
(Link) Web Design and Usability Guidelines is your guide for developing usable and useful Web sites. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services researched, compiled and published information on usability and user-centered design as a set of guidelines.
The guidelines were developed to assist Web managers, designers, usability specialists, and others create Web sites that are highly responsive, easy-to-use, and useful. This app brings these best practices and guidelines to you. The app includes the guidelines including the background and methodology, a glossary, appendices, sources, and the author Index.
The guidelines cover:
- design process and evaluation
- optimizing the user experience
- hardware and software
- the homepage
- page layout
- scrolling and paging
- headings, titles, and labels
- text appearance
- screen-based controls (widgets)
- graphics, images, and multimedia
- writing Web content
- content organization
- usability testing
38. Monetate Resources
(Link) The Monetate Resource Library is the ultimate app for staying up-to-date on the latest trends, best practices, and innovative campaigns for creating the ultimate online customer experience.
The Center covers the entirety of website optimization topics:
- website testing (A/B and MVT)
- conversion rate optimization
- website targeting (behavioral, geographic, weather, technographic)
- message consistency
- shopping cart abandonment
- and more!
Apps related to off device tools
- Simulate iOS apps right on your device
- Test the usability of your app without writing a single line of code
- Invite all stakeholders to test your prototype on their devices
- Prototypes are fully interactive
- Choose between a hand-drawn and a wireframe mode
40. IntuitionHQ Usability
(Link) Usability is a companion app to IntuitionHQ.com – a quick, easy online usability testing service. Please note, to use the app, you need to have published tests on the IntuitionHQ.com website, and they cost $9US a test.
With the app you can take your tests out in public, to your clients, stakeholders, or even strangers in the street to do some quick, easy usability testing. Through the website you can also share your tests out through the internet or social media in order to get effective, actionable feedback in no time.
You can view the results of your tests on the IntuitionHQ website, and make changes to whatever you are designing based on the results of your usability tests. You can view some sample results and take a quick test online at our website, IntuitionHQ.com.
41. Userzoom Surveys
(Link) UserZoom Surveys Tool allows you to run Mobile Surveys. UserZoom Surveys are under email invitation only. When you receive an email invitation link and select it, UserZoom Survey Tool app will automatically launch and let you complete the survey. In order to be invited to a survey, you have to be registered in an online panel.
Friends, clients or anyone need only this free download to see your stunning designs. With Briefscase you can:
- View briefs directly on your phone or tablet
- Add notes for you or your designer
- Demonstrate briefs to others; show, don’t tell.
- Connect to Briefs running on your Mac using BriefsLive
(Link) Make your great idea real. Real awesome. With Protosketch from UI Stencils, your sketches become real, interactive prototypes that help you tell the whole story behind your great idea. Easily get feedback on your app idea from others by sharing it over the web.
From a whiteboard to a napkin, Protosketch has got you covered.
44. myAxure Pro
(Link) Show Axure Prototypes on Your Phone! Upload your prototype made by Axure as .zip format and get a QR-Code. Then open the app to browse your lovely prototype offline.
(Link) FileSquare iPhone app helps you to test or demo interactive prototypes created on FileSq web app with your iPhone. FileSquare is used to create high-fidelity prototypes, and it’s tailored for web agency, software house, freelance developers and designers.
- Linkup design files to create interactive mockups
- Collect feedback with annotations in real time
- Test wireframe interactions with both computer and mobile device
- Present the prototypes with both computer and mobile device
- Capture on-screen video of usability test with mobile and check videos on FileSquare web app
With FileSquare, you’ll be able to:
- Do the remote collaboration more efficiently
- Enrich your client project demonstration
- Streamline your communication with developers and designers
- Perform usability test with mobile interactive mockups without coding
- Conduct remote usability test much easier
46. Red Head Mobile Design Inspiration
(Link) Red Head was created as a quick visual resource for iOS mobile designers to review different types of inspiring layouts and element styles right from their device.
47. Creative Whack Pack
(Link) The Creative Whack Pack is the App Store’s premier creative thinking/innovation tool. The Creative Whack Pack is a “creative workshop in an App.” It consists of 84 illustrated creativity strategies. Each of these is packed with stories, examples, and questions.
These 84 creativity strategies will “whack” you out of your habitual thought patterns and allow you to look at what you’re doing in a fresh way. Use the workshops to stimulate your thinking.
(Link) Re-energize your work, find a solution for any situation, and get back to creating, with oflow. Now filled with over 150 proven tips on how to be more creative today.
- Designed to help you be more creative and have ideas
- More than 150 proven, creativity tips that will have you coming up with great ideas instantly
- Set daily creativity reminders with Oflow
- From creating a mind map to drawing in the dark, Oflow will help you break through any creative block
- Keep notes and bookmark favorites
- Share ideas and methods by email, Twitter, Facebook, or export to Evernote
- Works on both iPad and iPhone devices
49. UX Driniking Game
(Link) Fun for the entire agency! The UX Drinking Game is a great reason to drink at conferences, client meetings, and at 9pm at night on a Sunday when deliverables are due Monday Morning.
It has hundreds of reasons to drink submitted by some of the best drinkers in the User Experience community! Not only that, it’s safe for work. Just shake it, and you get another drink!
- Shake it to get a random new reason to drink
- Share reasons on Facebook, Twitter, Email and SMS
- Save your favorite reasons to drink
- Add new reasons to drink
- Rate the best reasons
It’s Will Evans approved! Drink up!
50. Design Axioms
(Link) There is a mismatch between the digital design community and company cultures on the skills and practices required to design usable, useful, and elegant interfaces.
These design axioms therefore give designers, engineers, product managers, and anyone else who influences the creation of software design, a simple-but-essential core set of rules that will help you contribute to building a world of effective interfaces. A handful of great design minds have provided personal quotes to bring the Design Axioms home.